OneBeat Balkans 2019 Application
DEADLINE Applications are due by 11:00pm (Central European Time) Nov 5, 2018.
NOTIFICATION Applicants will be notified of the review panel decision by December 5, 2018.
PROGRAM OneBeat Balkans 2019 will take place from February 1–24, 2019.
CONTACT If you have questions please contact
Applicants must be between 19 and 35 years old during the program dates
(February 1–24, 2019).
Albania, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Serbia, United States. U.S. applicants must be U.S. OneBeat alumni.
Important Information for Applicants:
Musicians from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, with or without formal musical training. We welcome music of all genres, including but not limited to: traditional/folk, hip hop, experimental, electronic, jazz, classical, sound design, beat-making, multimedia art, or any combination of these styles. In additional to full-time professional musicians, we also invite adventurous musicians who double as community organizers, instrument builders, writers, videographers, musicologists, educators, storytellers, dancers, shadow-puppeteers, and more.
What you should know about OneBeat Balkans:
- Collaboration is central. OneBeat offers musicians the opportunity to collaborate on new projects and to explore new musical traditions. Rather than showcasing solo talent, OneBeat musicians will work together across stylistic and cultural divides in pursuit of new musical possibilities.
- OneBeat is socially engaged. We are looking for musicians who have a strong commitment to their communities and who are seeking new ways to engage in youth development, music education, music therapy, conflict resolution, a global dialogue through music, and other ways of working towards more egalitarian and democratic societies.
- OneBeat is a FREE program (but not a paid gig). The OneBeat program covers all Fellows’ travel, transportation, food, and lodging. We also offer a modest stipend. While we are not able to pay performance fees, OneBeat offers Fellows a chance to create new material, establish lifelong musical partnerships and friendships, learn new marketable skills, tour the US, and develop professional connections.
Audio/Video Application Materials:
Applicants should plan to write about their musical background and interests as well as future projects and goals. Applicants will be asked to submit 3-5 samples of their solo and collaborative work (both audio and video are accepted).
- Musical Excellence – A high level of performance, composition, improvisational, production and/or technological skill. Ideally OneBeat musicians will be innovating stylistically, lyrically, or technologically within their musical worlds.
- Collaboration – Applicants’ willingness to reach across cultural and musical divides in creating original music or re-interpreting traditional music, while respecting the essence of each tradition. Applicants should be prepared to try new things musically.
- Social Engagement – Musicians who have used music to serve their communities or greater societies. This might consist of guiding young people in music education, addressing social or political issues through musical content, reviving dying musical traditions, and more.
- Age – Applicants must be between 19-35 years old.
- English Proficiency – Applicants should be able to converse in and understand basic English, as it will be the common language of the OneBeat program.
- Country or Territory of Origin – OneBeat Fellows must currently live full-time in one of the eligible countries and territories.